Friday, June 25, 2010

LOST in COON Lagoon

I know, get my camera and move on! But, there's so much lost life in the Lagoon and around it that you really have to march on. So, I did my squirrels R us segment. Now, it's time for the frightening art of Raccoon Photography. I kid you not, it's no easy feat to take a picture of a masked bandit. These creatures are everywhere.
As I was snapping pics of squirrels and ducks , an entire family of rabid raccoons were pulling at my backpack and sliding their wicked claws down my very handsome legs. Yes, I do have handsome legs. That's another story.
I thought raccoons were nocturnal most of the time but, our tourists have happily been feeding them Wonder Bread, X-tra large eggs (as if the ducks and geese don't donate enough!) and I've even seen one raccoon unwrap a Mars bar.
A ha, there are signs everywhere,

DO NOT FEED THE ANIMALS...THEY ARE WILD ... THEY MAY HAVE RABIES ....THEY BITE!

Back to photography. I just passed a woman who handed one dozen eggs to a family of coons. It's making the whole 'wild animal photography' experience a bit of a lie. These creatures have become the house cats of the Lagoon..but still, deep down, I know they are wild and exciting and I must get photos of them.

Taking the time to observe is the icing on the photographer's cake. OBSERVE and you shall be rewarded. Raccoons are very intelligent creatures. Yes, I know pigs and dolphins are too, but raccoons would be in my top '5'.

The art of fishing, climbing, fighting one another and begging are award worthy experiences. They are the peasants of the Beatrice Potter world, but, we actually made them that way. Inner city animals know how to manipulate people and it's an honor to watch!

Take your camera, sit on a rock at the Lagoon and just watch. When they're not pestered by the human beings they actually amaze me in their natural habitats. Makes me sigh with sadness and think of the days of 'Rascal' before mankind turned Lost Lagoon into a Superstore for Coons and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment