Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Dog Day Afternoons

People 'say' they own a dog. But, is that really true? I think it's this: 'Our Dogs Own Us'
Dogs. I just LOVE dogs. Mixed, purebred, big, small, shaggy, short-haired but not 'the yappy ones'. My suggestion to camera flicking fanatics is to 'take your camera where-ever you go'. Those Starbuck coffee shops always have a rotating line-up of dogs left 'for you' to enjoy and capture. Also, I went to this dog park (sans dog) and just sat on a log capturing dogs mid-play, sulking, wading in water, making friends and sometimes....doing the nasty.
I have an entire album devoted to dogs...yes, they are that special. I even print pictures of dogs from coffee shops and give the owners copies. THEY LOVE IT and you get a free coffee in return. Remember, most people just don't bother to take snaps of their own pets, their buddies, their best pals..it's criminal.
I'm a bit of a dog park junkie now. When I left the Lagoon I started to hang out at the few dog parks with my camera 'ready' to go. I'd interact with the dog owners and many 'dog walkers'. The dog walkers LOVE to go on about each dog. This is their living. They even go to the trouble to get the dogs to 'do' what I think they should do for a photo. This is not true of course, I'm just happy to see dogs in play mode and running off leash. I hate seeing dogs wrapped around bicycle stands and bus stop posts. It's just wrong.
A roaming dog is a happy dog! Just down the street from my condo is a mini-dogs 'only' park and I go there to embrace the joy these strangers take letting there mini-p0uches free to chase a ball, hump a stranger, do tricks for treats or just 'hang' with the gang. It's magical. I'd love to be a dog...a loved dog. Just getting unconditional love 24/7 and sniffing everything from flowers to butts. It's a magical world. It's a Dog's world.

1 comment: