Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Parts of the Bird: Zoom It!

So, there I am, looking at the usual suspects: ducks, swans, song birds, raccoons, squirrels..creatures I have walked past dozens of times with little interest. ZOOM. Yup, that's all it took to change my world. Who knew 'one button' on this new digital camera would suddenly evoke interest in that blob above the swan's beak. I never cared before. Suddenly, the blob was beautiful. Yes, I admit it, I was into that black blob protruding from the swan's face. ZOOM. CLICK. MAGIC. Who cares if I missed the end of the beak or the top of it's head...it was magical to me. It's like finding Waldo in those Where's Waldo books. So, I decided to go for bird body parts next! My world was once again expanding thanks to a simple purchase at that Drug Store. I would make gift cards, create black and whites, put a swan face on a coffee mug...but the point really became 'my new passion'. Yes, I was now a passionate photographer. I felt rather smug and trendy and it all happened in one day..ONE DAY. I had so much to explore just 2 blocks from my home. Perhaps the neck of a heron or the webbed foot of Canadian Goose? Yes, it was all beautiful now. These creatures I had taken for granted were now my canvas on a somewhat polluted Lagoon. But, it was my canvas and my passion. Ah, the mighty Blue Heron...time to get close and ZOOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment