Saturday, August 7, 2010

SHED LIGHT on your BLOG!

Once I was called a 'bright light'. That was from my Grade 2 teacher who also told me I had the best spelling of the letter 'S' in the classroom. (That is in the 'Letter Perfect Blog) which you need to read too.
So, I was a bright light with a bright future. When we moved from my nightmarish home in the Arbutus area.... I went back into it when it was up for sale. We had moved out but there was something I took. I TOOK THE BIGGEST GEM FROM THE CHANDELIER. I didn't look at this as stealing..it was a MEMENTO of something bright and shiny from my life in Hell, as I knew it. Years later I lost it.
My favorite lights growing up were, like most of us, Christmas Lights. Such joy, such festive strings of colour throughout the neighborhood. On the tree, along the mantle, over the shutters of the house. I always wanted just BLUE LIGHTS but my family went with the traditional, ONE RED- then YELLOW- then GREEN- then RED AGAIN... makes me ill. No sense of living it up! Now, they have the energy savers and you can make your home look like Santa's paradise. I also like the Beamer Lights! Remember the Beamers from the P.N.E. fair. They go across the sky like big alien ships. I always pretended it was an Alien Invasion and we'd all, well- maybe not me, be melted by the beams of light. It's my story and I get to be the HERO Now that I'm big and tall, I'm the CHOSEN ONE to change light bulbs. Friends, family, co-worker, total strangers all want me to change their bulbs. I do it because it gives me super status. But, on a low note, I have cracked my skull and bled on my low-riding chandeliers. Perhaps this is karma for taking that big crystal from our childhood home? I don't know? I just bleed a lot.
I think the new energy bulbs are really ugly. Yes, I know 'GO GREEN RA RA RA', but face it ..they are super ugly. I had a lava lamp once. I never figured it out but I was mesmerized by the blob flow. I watched it for almost an hour once. My cat knocked it off the T.V. and there was blob lamp guts all over the floor mixed in with shards of glass. The cat was trying to swipe a blob that was shaped like a rotting rat...I suppose?
Chandeliers are cool if they are REALLY MODERN 'or' ANTIQUES. I've seen some of the best with my camera going into various shops. Some look like waterfalls, others make me feel like I'm back in 1920 at a castle, where I am head Butler. I also like neon lights. I love that whole 'graffiti' look, especially the OPEN signs or ones at old barber shops. Very cool, very retro. And then there is 'natural light'. If I have a hangover, I detest natural light but, generally, I embrace it. I know enough to stay OUT OF THE LIGHT both in terms of 'near death experiences' and poor sunscreen coverage. It's dangerous to be in the light these days.
But, my favorite light was always MY NIGHT LIGHT. It made me feel safe from the Boogie Man, the creatures in the closet, the child kidnappers and the goblins in my dreams..but they were especially great when I had to go pee pee when the rest of the family were in a deep sleep. Children need 'the night light'.
! Well, that's it. Must lighten up! Shed some light on a new topic! See the light at the end of the tunnel! and.... sing an oldie, continue to be a bit 'Light in the Loafers'... and Light the way for others! Yes, a word we take for granted yet it has been with us from the moment we came into the world and that big, ugly bulb was one of the first things in the hospital room to make us scream our lungs out!

No comments:

Post a Comment