Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Busker Bojangles

There are dozens of Busker Bojangles and Lady Jangles on our streets, just trying to get by and get enough money together to get their career happening. It's not easy, it's never easy. We always smile but tend to stand back in fear the man with the guitar is going to go into a musical rage and demand money if WE DARE STAND AND LISTEN TO HIS/HER TALENT. I wonder where some of the kids come from? I've seen sister/brother acts with fiddles and cellos at the market. What happened to the 'Car Wash' and 'Selling Cookies?' And you often see their sad C.D.'s displayed on rickety tables with a Jam Jar waiting for 10 dollars. I want to support them but, I usually don't like the music and feel somewhat guilty if I dare listen and then walk away. It's such a crap-shot being a busker. Many buskers come from 'the Hippie Islands' where tofu is tops and homegrown is encouraged. They have their tattered guitar cases, work at a local cafe or build porches for the rich. Yet, they never put music on hold. They'll play during their lunch break, selling pottery at local markets or even set up tents under the bridge to lure tourists on a busy weekend.
I did ONE PIANO RECITAL when I was a child and I almost horked all over the black and white keys. I was paralyzed with fear and my sweat glands tripled in size when I was aware that people were actually going to listen to me play, 'Turkey in the Straw'. I believe you have to be very brave to be circled by strangers while you strum your first guitar or blow into a white recorder.
One place where is seems 'very' cool to busk and entertain is on the ferry boats! Yup, sitting on the boat putting on your fake I'M COOL AND GENERIC look while fiddlers and banjo players entertain us on the way to our vacation spot. We assume they are doing it out of pure joy, for the love of the art...but I see dollar signs in those eyes. Truth be told, I'm envious of anyone who can play an instrument and do it boldly with a crowd waiting for you to slip up. I've always wanted to be the guy with the guitar at the campsite, entertaining friends and family. I've always wanted to play the piano at gatherings so friends could sing along or even dance just for the sake of dancing. What would we do without the buskers. They entertain, they make us smile, they prompt some of us to dance without inhibitions or sing along because the song brings back 'good times'. Without the buskers, life would be just a little bit less, don't' you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment