Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Summer In The City

Let's clear one thing up: I'm not a 'Summer' kind of person. I perspire like a marathon runner when it goes up past 20 degrees C., I loose my voracious appetite and I just want to be in cold showers all day. BUT, I know, I know, it's everyones favorite time of the year. So, I'll dedicate one for the photo books. I will say this, Summer brings with it many fun festivals: Folk, Jazz, Caribbean Days, Italian Days, Greek Days, Celebration of Lights (fireworks), the Gay Parade and every walk-a-thon imaginable. And there are the barbecues! Lord knows I love a good BBQ..but, I do this in the Winter too. The upside is wearing sunglasses, getting time off work, corn on the cob and watermelons. I'm one of the people who actually enjoys the tourists. I especially love telling them off when they feed the wildlife in the park or when they ride their rental bikes on the sidewalk. I'm all about fun! Photography doesn't bode as well for me in the Summer. Since I'm not a people picture taker..the birds are all moulting, the raccoons are rabid, the grasses are dry and the flowers are wilting. It's a sad time for nature in my books. I could hang out at the garbage sites and wait for a black bear to waddle by or hope some local child builds a 4 foot castle in the sand. I'd love to play Beach Volleyball but I'm so sweaty my body becomes a mobile human sand structure. I'm too old to rake in money selling lemonade and I've run out of items for yard sales. I'm not into lying in the heat only to develop blisters and a raging headache. Can't jog as the air quality sucks and can't swim because the ocean is now so polluted you need to shower when you get home. I'm just not a peppy guy, so even taking photographs is all-consuming. I get tired just walking the 'hood' to find some subject worthy of a 'click' and you all know how I feel about Sunsets! Perhaps I should move to Alaska in the summer! I spend so much time making ice-cubes and dropping them into my shirt, it would make sense! As I type this I have 5 fans blowing in my condo and my Air Conditioner on. I make no excuses for my need of indoor trade winds and Icelandic temperatures. I do like many of the Summer songs like 'Summertime', 'A Theme from a Summer Place', 'The Summer of '42' and 'Summer Lovin' ... they're all beautiful pieces but, I listen to them during any Season. The best thing about Summer is ICE-CREAM. Okay, that's where I give most of my points to. I could spend an hour picking out ice-cream flavours and crunching on waffles cones. Remember the sound of the Ice-Cream Truck playing Scott Joplin's 'The Entertainer' as he rolled down your street and all the kids flocked to the truck for rainbow Popsicles and drumsticks?....ah, those were vivid memories...in the city I don't see them anymore. Even the good ol' Ice-Cream Man can't make a livin' in this hot forsaken city!

No comments:

Post a Comment