Monday, July 26, 2010

Tourist Treasures but WHAT IS IT?

We have 'Art in the City' or is it 'Sculptures in the City?', not too sure but I know there are huge engagement rings sticking out of the lawn down at English Bay! They even light up the 'fake jewel settings' at night. Magical. But, some people really don't like it, "It blocks the view!", "It's not natural!", "It's just plain UGLY!" and that is what makes it all so controversial and FUN! ? SPARE-RIBS ??CARCASS OF WHALE ??? BROKEN,GIGANTIC SLINKY RUSTED AT SEA
We know it's photo material. Every tourist that walks by those massive engagement rings starts a'clicking. Every family member has to have their picture taken with 'the laughing Chinese men' ...about 13 or 14 big brass men standing about 10 feet tall LAUGHING ABOUT LIFE, I suppose?
I don't usually read the write-ups by the structures. I know this is wrong of me but I either don't have my glasses or I'm seeking another excuse. I know it all MEANS SOMETHING but, I just want to look at it and decide in a year or two. We judge too quickly as a society me thinks! One year they had these silver chairs right on the beach.They alternated just like the ones we use 'in musical chairs'. Knock a kid off the seat to some musical nursery rhyme and you win a prize. Another great children's game to 'make new friends'. Do they seem out of place? YES! Why are they there? I DON'T KNOW!! But, it's another conversational piece! What was this artist thinking.... 'come sit and watch the sunset or face the other way and look into the park?', 'we played twister as children and this is another reminder be childlike on the sand?', 'If you sit on one of these silver seats on a Summer Day you'll burn your ass?'.... I DON'T KNOW! It's ART..only the artist knows..or, maybe he/she doesn't.
Then we had this upside-down CHURCH! I loved it. I thought it was amazing and I didn't want to read any 'label', I wanted to just take it in and wonder, "What the hell was this guy on when he put the church on it's axis?" Yet, I loved it! Was it speaking to me: 'The church has it all wrong?', 'Everybody is different?','Look out for tornadoes they always hit churches and trailer parks first?'
In Canada we are trashed often for not loving our FLAG, the one with one red maple leaf on it. Well, I went shopping for toilet seat covers and I saw an entire building painted on two side with the Canadian Flag...how's that for sweet country lovin'? I guess it was ART..I don't know, but I almost got killed crossing the street to look at it because IT WAS SO VERY COOL AND DIFFERENT!
Yes, I've seen little Red Buddhas in a circle pretending to chant, Killer Whales in the City, Eagles in the City and next year I'm hoping it's 'Feral Cats in the City'. I went on one of those map walks to see as many Killer Whales as I could. Then, to my great joy, I found out that they auction them off later on to raise money for *fill in the blank* ...how can we knock a good thing? These are poor artists raising money for charity! C'MON PEOPLE...DON'T BE HATERS..it's a good thing. It makes you stop and think, "DO I GIVE BACK??? HMMM??"
Oh, and what about that single raindrop in Vancouver...coming from the sky like a bolt of lightening! It's right near the cruise ships and people flock to see 'A SINGLE RAINDROP'. Kind of makes you feel proud of our constant rainfall for 10 months of the year! And, the beauty is... this will never end because the people in my city are story-tellers, artists, writers, poets and chameleons. There will always be something curious to look at but, unlike me... you should read those golden plaques!
And finally, WHAT IS THIS ALL ABOUT? Oh, does it really matter?, because...I LOVE IT!

3 comments:

  1. You never cease to amaze me with your beautiful pictures, Will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brenda! I love doing these...trying to touch on 'all topics' with my pictures, from nature to city-life and more.. it's a very fun 'passion!' Hope you're doing well..and loving the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish my town was more like yours! On Pogo.com there is a jigsaw puzzle game I play a lot and there is a picture of the truck with the trees in it, only from a different viewpoint! i always love your work Will!

    ReplyDelete