Sunday, July 11, 2010

STROLL and SNAP!

At Granville Island you embrace the many yummy moments through glass at the bakery and don't forget Chinatown and the lanterns. The SIDEWALK STROLL is your friend! :)
You lean into the Italian Restaurant and get the funky mask!
">>You go for the BULBY hairdresser: attack on sight with digital camera on hand!
Yes, we all walk the streets and stare into stores. Sometimes we are in awe of what we see, sometimes we embarrass a store-owner or we actually walk in and buy something.
I always thought it was taboo to take a picture from the sidewalk 'into' a store. There's the barber shop, the clothing stores, the restaurants with those colourful chalk-board menus and even someone just 'going about their business'.
Is it wrong to 'let the camera travel' into a private business? I say yes. It's all in the name of going beyond borders and being creative. What's the worst that could happen? The owner could yell at you (the obvious), a door could shut on your face (2nd obvious) or you could ACTUALLY be asked to take more photos and embrace their business. Cha-Ching!
It all goes back to that time when I walked the sidewalks and crept onto lawns to take pictures of amazing verandas or pets etc... you just 'feel' this need to capture a moment. The 'in the mood' moments. Embrace your theme. James Bond the moment!
I did try to take a picture of a woman getting her hair streaked and she lept out of her chair and came after me. Lucky for me she was attached to the hair-dryer and I got away. These are all Clark Kent moments. You just 'try' top capture something new and 'in the moment'. Sometimes you are embraced , other times you are...well.... attacked (verbally and at times, physically).
I regret not clicking the camera walking past some businesses and stores but my sense of privacy and 'good boy' image get in the way. I know I need to cross that barrier and just 'go outside that box' and DO IT. So you feel a bit paparazzi...that's show biz!
Again, it's always the people that get in the way. Sigh, and that's why I have so many pictures of dogs, cats, pigs, flowers, trees, ducks and 'dead things' made of plastic!

No comments:

Post a Comment