Thursday, July 22, 2010

Whatever Makes Your Boat Float

I love boats, not necessarily taking pictures of them but 'being on them'. Sailboats, tugboats, rowboats, yachts, canoes ...you name it. Boats often mean adventure. Titanic..now that was an adventure but, happily I missed that one. My first encounter was on a wee rowboat at my Summer Home on Saltspring. I used to row across to these small chain islands and play JOE HARDY (of the Hardy Brothers)...looking for evil doings and hidden treasures. My rowboat was my companion. Then I went on joyous fishing trips on my Grandfather's Yacht. Sure I spent many hours heaving in a bucket down below , but when it was GOOD, it was good! We'd fish in tidal pools, watch orcas swim by and huge bald eagles plunge down to grab a salmon.
My Granny would give out these blood-curdling cries to summon the King Salmon..."Oh Saggley, Oh Saggley Tyie, Oh Saggley Tyie..catch me a fish as BIG AS A TREE!" I thought she was a magical good witch throughout life. But on the Yacht, she was a more like a Sea Goddess.
Then I went sailing. That was with my fellow co-workers from the Keg Restaurant. We sailed through all the large islands and got plastered as good restaurant staff do on 'appreciation day'... We climbed up to the large crow's nest on the Pirate Ship and swung on large ropes to splash into the sea! Ah, it was a day I'll never remember because we had far too much to drink..but the sailboat was huge, colourful and old. I felt like an original Pirate of the Caribbean (I think?). Later it was speed boats. I used to sneak off from our cabin with keys in hand, row out to our speed boat and TAKE A SPIN. Sadly, I ended up between two honking B.C. Ferries ...with a huge salmon on my line and no way out. Yes, I was grounded but at least I remember that experience. I've never been on a cruise ship but I've been on them, just to inspect! I wasn't planning to be a stow-away although it did cross my mind. Yes, there is endless food, deck upon deck with pools, lawn chairs, shuffle-board, outside bars and glam at every corner! If only.
I was shot at in a punt (like a canoe) while duck hunting with my very adventurous Dad on the Fraser River...apparently we were on sacred native waters...so, flying bullets over my head at 14 years old was not a dream come true. Also, we had to avoid freighters coming down the Fraser River at 5 am because, that's when you get out there and end a duck's life! Not to worry, I never shot one duck in my life ...I purposely aimed in the wrong direction but, sadly this did cost one crow his life. I do regret that.
I often go down to wharves and walk along the docks to spy on the 'lives' of those who live to be on the sea. I've read 'The Old Man in the Sea' several times and still believe the ending will change and I've had the best times in that small rowboat going from island to island believing I was Joe Hardy.

No comments:

Post a Comment