Thursday, July 15, 2010

Kids at Heart

I'm still doing the camera rounds at the beautiful Granville Island and I chose to go into the Kid's TOY LAND. Ah, to be around toys of old and toys of new. Remember putting that slinky on the top stair and watching it 'boing' down the entire staircase. Remember learning tricks on the yoyo and feeling talented after you learned to 'walk the dog' or how about submerging yourself in that flood of coloured plastic balls. Dreamy times destroyed with age...SOMETIMES, but not for me and not for my 'moments' with the camera. Ah the water park. Kids and water parks are as fun as adults in discos. I did run into it (camera protected) and inhaled the sprays of water which created a land base of rainbows. We're all kids at heart. You know you want to run through a sprinkler on a hot day! So I clicked snapshots of marionettes 'thinking' of how much I loved that 'Lonely Goat' puppet show from the Sound of Music. I think I watched that 100 times. Then, I went into the bookstore to smile at the creatures and kids I read about so many years ago. Secretly, I still read and own some of these books! You're never too old to smile at a good memory. Then the stuffed animals..piled to the ceiling. Yes, the Grouch, Big Bird, traditional Teddy and Snoopy. I had a Snoopy! I loved him. I put souvenir pins all over his velvety black ears. Like the movie Toy Store, I grew up and let him go. Sad times. And why do we feel we have to let them go..we don't. Lego. I must have built 100's of lego creatures and buildings. I was bummed that they went 'plastic' as I loved the original wooden kits in those big round containers. Marbles always fascinated me too. Like the caramel in the Caramilk Bar, I was always curious as to how they made marble to be so beautiful. I had my plastic farm set and used to put horses in with cows, pigs in with chickens and role-play the whole farmer thing. I spent hours on my toy farm thinking someday I would be a real farmer with real animals. Most boys had the race-car tracks and G.I.Joes but I was in control of a mini-10 acre farm on my bedroom floor. Yup, I still look at those plastic farm animals sitting in rows, waiting for the next little boy to create 'his world'. Then the bubble-maker started up in one of the toy-stores and I just stood there with my camera watching them rise, flow and fall, pop and play while adults and children alike 'played in the Bubbleicious World of Toys'.

No comments:

Post a Comment