Friday, July 16, 2010

Sugar-coated Photography

They had this amazing bakery at the market. I gained 10 lbs and my teeth rotted just looking at what they make these days. Holy Sugar-fest! The only attraction for me was taking photos through the display windows. I knew it was a risk. THE GLARE, THE REFLECTIONS, THE MANAGER TELLING ME TO GET THE HELL AWAY FROM HIS HAPPY FACE CUP-CAKES. Well, in the name of funky art, I had to do it. I remember downing acres of ice-cream as a child. I loved watching them dip those Dairyqueen cones in chocolate but wondered why the ice-cream didn't plop into the vat of melting chocolate? I also remember endless trips on Halloween night with 'pillow cases' to unleash my cravings for sugar highs. I'd come home, dump that sucker and go out for another round (in a different neighborhood). Then the annual fair and that horrid cotton candy. BLUE FLUFF on a stick or maybe BRIGHT PINK..and we ate that crap. WE ATE IT. What were our parents thinking? I earned a few extra dental visits thanks to my relentless gnawing on caramel apples or toffee. My parents could have just dropped me at Wonka's Chocolate Factory with references. Now we have cupcake mania. I've never seen so many 'pink' stores with triple-iced cupcakes. I just get a gag reflex now. I see the artistry...I really do, but don't put one of those things anywhere near my face. At this bakery they really cake on (pun intended) the clever facial expressions and designer toppings to lure the children in and 75 per cent of the adults. We all have our weak moments so I used my camera as a personal shield to stop the madness. Sure I was tempted by the twirled, flaky number, coated in pecans and cinnamon. Yes, I was mesmerized by the layered chocolate mass with strawberry jam oozing out from the sides..but, I just FOCUSED. My days of giant Slurpee's and jawbreakers are over. Too many trips to the dentist, the toilet and loss of my allowance finally woke me up. Now, I can simply just look at these over-priced hills of calories and colour and use them for dynamic photographs...and yes, MEMORIES!

No comments:

Post a Comment