Saturday, July 17, 2010

Letter Perfect

Without a doubt, letters rule much of our lives. The dictionary, phonics in grade 1, PICK A VOWEL on the Wheel of Fortune and how about those engraved letters on the 'true love' tree... J.L. LURVES M.C. You cannot avoid, THE LETTER. So, while I take photos I'm always taken by how letters make art, food, people, signs more interesting. It's not something to ignore! Many of us have tried our hand at calligraphy... and failed (or not). It's fun! In Grade '2' we had a 'letter challenge' with our new cursive 'pens' and my beautiful teacher, Mrs.Robinson. Yes, so here's to you Mrs. Robinson. I worked at those really tough letters like cursive 'W', 'Q' and 'R' but, I ended up winning for the letter 'S'. No shame in that. To this day I still think my cursive letter 's' 'S'ucks... and I'm still much better with 'W'..but, she is MRS. ROBINSON. I have a client who can do the alphabet 'backwards' in 15 seconds. He's amazing. He's autistic and amazing. I tried to do the backward alphabet and it took me over a minute at best. We put letters together to make bracelets, necklaces, stamps on letters and even on our bath towels. There is NO END to the power of the LETTER. But, what about photography..? Do letters have the 'it' factor. You bet! If we use them in art, advertising and graffiti...they are a form of Photo-Power. Sometimes we just take letters for granted. I'm not talking about words, I'm talking about 'letters'.....yes, we have characters and other cultural differences but any letter has a way to make people NOTICE and READ and COMMENT. Letters are yet another social stamp on every day life. ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 'or' ZYXWVUTSRQPONMLKJIHGFEDCBA ..... even Myna Birds can do this! And don't forget how we were placed in our school desks 'by LAST NAME LETTER'..it could have effected my grades? Maybe? Hope so?... I was 'W'..always at the back of the class. What about your need to have COOL letters on your licence plate...c'mon, we all want good letters. We want a word or letters that may suggest something, like 'TMI or BFF or EHU', it's just a bonus if 'the letters' fall in the right place. Then we have our personal initials. Who wants the monogram B.S. or F.U. , it's just not cool! So, don't take letters lightly. They hold a mysterious power in school, on a tree, in a song, on your towel and beware the TATTOO...that could stick with you forever...FYI!

No comments:

Post a Comment